Wigwamen Incorporated is a non-profit housing provider, in operation since 1972. We’re looking for a self-motivated, highly-organized Maintenance Assistant to join our team and work throughout our scattered housing portfolio. The properties are located throughout Toronto and include singles, semis, duplexes, triplexes and other types of multi-unit dwellings.
Reporting to the Maintenance Manager and the General Manager, the Maintenance Assistant will be responsible for ensuring the timely completion of tenant related maintenance services, including unit turnovers, service calls and emergency response for maintenance issues, as well as providing 24 hour emergency service on a rotation basis.
Responsibilities will include:
- Ensure the timely completion of tenant-related maintenance services
- Evaluate and respond to emergencies in an appropriate manner
- Perform minor electrical and plumbing work; drywall repairs; painting; carpentry and other work as assigned
- Maintain records, in accordance with company policy
- Report to management regarding persistent maintenance problems
- Inspect units, prepare specifications for repairs and follow up with contractors
- Ensure the company’s portfolio of properties is kept in an optimal state of repair
The preferred candidate will have:
- Minimum three years’ practical experience in building maintenance
- Diploma, degree or a licensed trade in a related field
- Appropriate knowledge of the building envelope, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, carpentry and fire safety systems
- Access to a vehicle for work purposes; a valid G driver’s license and a clean driving record
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office
- A clear criminal record check
- Proven ability to work productively with minimal supervision
- Strong communication and tenant relations skills
- A willingness to take continuing education courses for professional development
- The ability to lift 25 pounds, and use an 8′ step ladder
- The physical and technical capabilities to perform the duties of the position
- Knowledge of the Residential Tenancies Act, the Building Code and/or Fire Code is an asset
This is a full-time, salaried position with a benefits package.
Please submit your resume and cover letter as a .pdf file, with your name as the file name, to [email protected] by 12:00 noon on Monday, February 4, 2019.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those to be interviewed will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Wigwamen Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. We will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise us in advance to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process.