Tenant Resource Co-ordinators – Full and Part-Time
Wigwamen Incorporated is seeking one full-time and one part-time employee to promote successful tenancies and a strong community among the 90 Aboriginal families and individuals living at 75 Cooperage – Toronto’s newest Aboriginal community and the city’s largest Aboriginal-focused building.
The team will be based in an on-site office with schedules that permit a mix of weekday, evening and some weekend coverage, with some overlapping hours.
The preferred candidates will have:
- Minimum two years’ experience in a counselling or tenant support role
- Knowledge of, and experience working with, the urban Aboriginal community
- Broad-based knowledge of resources for low-income families
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Offer supportive counselling to help tenants and their families achieve their own goals for employment, education, health, community and stability
- Help tenants learn any skills needed to maintain a successful tenancy, such as housekeeping, budgeting, pet care or self-care
- Help tenants who need assistance to meet their tenancy obligations, such as: helping tenants complete income verification forms, obtain income supports, comply with arrears repayment agreements, mediate disputes with neighbours, prepare for pest treatment or keep their home free of health or fire hazards
- Help tenants establish and maintain links with local services including cultural, health, mental health and addictions and social services
- Work closely with tenants and Wigwamen staff to help resolve landlord/tenant issues
- Work with partner agencies to plan and promote on-site educational and cultural activities. Identify opportunities for other community-building activities.
- Maintain records needed to monitor and evaluate the initiative. Meet monthly with an external consultant to reflect on the work and any lessons learned.
This is a one year contract position with the potential to be extended.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected] by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 3, 2017.
As this is one of a number of positions Wigwamen Incorporated is advertising for, please reference Job Posting TRC1 in your covering letter.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those to be interviewed will be contacted. No phone calls, please.